Test rig description
The rig has following key components and devices
- AC driver for providing speed
- DC generator for providing load
- Gearbox 1 (two-stage gearbox) for reducing speed
- Gearbox 2 (two-stage gearbox) for increasing speed
- Variable speed drive and load controller (VSD-LC)
The measurements in the test rig including an encoder for motor speed, two microphone for acoustic signal, two accelerometer for vibration signal, a thermocouple for oil temperature, three current and three voltage transducers for motor electricity, an infrared camera for heat distribution on gearbox body. All these data are acquired with a 24-bit, 16-channel, synchronous Data Acquisition (DAQ) system at a sampling rate of 96 kHz.
Typical Fault simulation
The test rig can simulate several typical faults, including gearbox faults, shaft faults and other faults as shown in Table 1.
-  J. Wang, M. Xu, C. Zhang, B. Huang, and F. Gu, ‘Online Bearing Clearance Monitoring Based on an Accurate Vibration Analysis’, Energies, vol. 13, no. 2, p. 389, Jan. 2020, doi: 10.3390/en13020389.
-  X. Tang et al., ‘Condition Monitoring of Lubricant Shortage for Gearboxes Based on Compressed Thermal Images’, in Advances in Asset Management and Condition Monitoring, Cham, 2020, pp. 927–938, doi: 10.1007/978-3-030-57745-2_76.
-  R. Zhang, K. Wang, Y. Shi, X. Sun, F. Gu, and T. Wang, ‘The Influences of Gradual Wears and Bearing Clearance of Gear Transmission on Dynamic Responses’, Energies, vol. 12, no. 24, p. 4731, Dec. 2019, doi: 10.3390/en12244731.
-  K. F. Brethee, D. Zhen, F. Gu, and A. D. Ball, ‘Helical gear wear monitoring: Modelling and experimental validation’, MECH & MACH. THEORY, vol. 117, pp. 210–229, Nov. 2017, doi: 10.1016/j.mechmachtheory.2017.07.012.
-  R. Zhang, F. Gu, H. Mansaf, T. Wang, and A. Ball, ‘Gear wear monitoring by modulation signal bispectrum based on motor current signal analysis’, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, vol. 94, pp. 202–213, Sep. 2017, doi: 10.1016/j.ymssp.2017.02.037.
-  K. Brethee, F. Gu, and A. Ball, ‘Condition Monitoring of Lubricant Starvation Based on Gearbox Vibration Signatures’, International Journal of COMADEM, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 45–52, Jul. 2017.
-  K. F. Brethee, F. Gu, and A. D. Ball, ‘Frictional effects on the dynamic responses of gear systems and the diagnostics of tooth breakages’, Systems Science & Control Engineering, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 270–284, 2016, doi: 10.1080/21642583.2016.1241728.
-  S. Abusaad, K. Brethee, M. Assaeh, R. Zhang, F. Gu, and A. D. Ball, ‘The detection of lubricating oil viscosity changes in gearbox transmission systems driven by sensorless variable speed drives using electrical supply parameters’, Journal of Physics: Conference Series, vol. 628, p. 012078, Jul. 2015, doi: 10.1088/1742-6596/628/1/012078.
-  F. Elbarghathi, T. Wang, D. Zhen, F. Gu, and A. Ball, ‘Two Stage Helical Gearbox Fault Detection and Diagnosis based on Continuous Wavelet Transformation of Time Synchronous Averaged Vibration Signals’, J. Phys.: Conf. Ser., vol. 364, p. 012083, May 2012, doi: 10.1088/1742-6596/364/1/012083.